- Studied the major conventional microfinance models and incorporated them into Shariah compatible modes which could be used by IDB.
- Identified potential strategic partners having existing Islamic (Non-Interest Bearing) microfinance portfolios which could be purchased for giving the IDB-MDP a running start.
- Studied the various banking, tax, microfinance, and other related laws to enable IDB-MDP to operate without any let or hindrance in the target country. The consultant also indicated whether there would be any legal, regulatory impediments to IDB-MDP and recommended practical and speedy solutions for removing the impediments.
- Studied the Microfinance market in the country; proposed the way forward for IDB to implement its MDP and present the various options available along with their respective pros and cons.
- Prepared a 5-year business plan along with detailed proposals on management, finance, marketing (including products, pricing, promotion and distribution) and technical requirements (IT, etc.) for the new institution.
- Provided projected financial statements along with IRR.
- Proposed the amount of capital required for implementation of the IDB-MDP in the target country.
Timeframe: April 2009 - July 2009
Realated Countries: Bangladesh
Client(s): Islamic Development Bank (IDB) / Jeddah / Saudi Arabia
Categories: SME and Microfinance and Microenterprise, Project design and Preparation and Feasibility Study